Medical School Without Walls: 50 Years of Regional Campuses at Indiana University School of Medicine
Embargo Lift Date
The history of Indiana University School of Medicine (IUSM) dates to 1871, when Indiana Medical College entered into an affiliation with Indiana University in Bloomington to offer medical education. In 1971, the Indiana General Assembly passed a bill to create and fund a distributed model for medical education for which IUSM was responsible, an innovative approach to implementing a statewide medical education program. IUSM became one of the first U.S. medical schools to implement what is today known as a regional medical campus model. This regional medical campus system has permitted IUSM to expand enrollment based on national and local concerns about physician shortages, increase access to care locally, support expansion of graduate medical education, and provide opportunities for research and scholarship by faculty and students statewide. This effort was made possible by partnerships with other universities and health care systems across the state and the support of local community and state leaders. The model is a forward-thinking and cost-effective way to educate physicians for service in the state of Indiana and is applicable to others. This article highlights milestones in IUSM’s 50-year history of regional medical education, describes the development of the regional medical campus model, recognizes significant achievements over the years, shares lessons learned, and discusses considerations for the future of medical education.